Saturday, July 9, 2011

Red Stars at Night

Life here in Moscow is much slower than life in St. Petersburg, which may come as a surprise to many of you. It was like that at first for me as well. However, here we live an hour to an hour and a half outside of the city center by metro, and we get out of class/lunch around 2:30 every day. So, it's hard for us to get into the city in time to hit up museums and the like before they close. Also, once a week following regular classes, we have an hour of individual instruction with our professor. All of this will lead to an invaluable education, if not at the expense of seeing Moscow to the extent that I saw St, Petersburg.


Yesterday is POURED all afternoon, so we elected to spend the day in the dorms instead of making the trek into the city in the rain. However, we did end up making the trip into the city center in the evening to go to the opera. That's right, the opera. How cultured does that make me sound? Ha! What we saw is called the "Queen of Spades" (Пи́ковая Дама), a story by A. Pushkin put to orchestra and transformed into an opera by Tchaikovsky.  The music was beautiful, the singers were extremely, talented, and the final number deserved the standing ovation it got! 


Following the opera, still clad in our dresses and suits, a few of us decided to find something to eat and to take a brisk stroll through the Red Square at night. Of course, since I'm ridiculous and only had a clutch, I didn't have my camera on me. But we will return and I will provide you with pictures! 


During the week it's hard to do things because of the long school day and the hour long trek into the city. More to come later this week! I'm liking Moscow, I can say that much as of now.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment