Sunday, July 3, 2011

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow


Today marks my last day in St. Petersburg for the summer. As I write this, I’m chilling in the apartment, waiting for Andrei to come pick me up (between 7 and 10pm) to take me to Moskovskii Vokzal (Moscow Train Station). Our train goes out at midnight and we’ll arrive in Moscow at 8am tomorrow (Sunday). Considering the group going, this should be a highly entertaining trip. Especially when you consider how tired we all are and how close we’ll probably be to delirium on this train ride.

Since this was our last week in St. Petersburg, we crammed in some of the smaller but just as cool museums. This week we pursued the Russian Ethnography Museum, which had some really cool exhibits about the extremely diverse culture of Russia (along with clothing!), and the Russian Political History Museum, which had really cool exhibits that traced the development of Russian politics and political culture from the fall of the tsars to modern time. Both museums were worth the visit, despite the fact that we might as well have dropped dead from exhaustion. However, both trips to the museums were followed by rewarding marojehnoyeh (ice cream) sessions. I swear, in Petersburg I am existing on solely bread, beer, and ice cream. The first time we attempted to go to the Political History Museum it was closed. Because all museums are closed on the last Monday of every month. Right. Hey, it’s Russia. So we rewarded our failure with, but what else, ICE CREAM!

Russian Political History Museum

Museum FAIL

And now, I’m too tired to write anything else and this is by far the hottest day I’ve experienced in St. Petersburg yet (it’s 31° Celsius), so I’m going to go die on my bed until Andrei comes to pick me up and take me to the station.

Next stop, Moscow!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment